TRAVEL and TOURISM
Click on the picture to view the LOOM from the subject teacher.
Exam Board and Specification: Pearson BTEC Award in Travel and Tourism
The key features of this course are that it’s vocational (a focus on developing skills needed for employment beyond school), and two thirds of the assessment is in-house (coursework and portfolio based).
The qualification is designed to introduce students to the world of travel and tourism in a practical learning environment.
- Students will know the key areas within the sector, including tourism as an industry, the UK travel and tourism market, international travel and tourism and customer needs.
- Students will develop key skills, such as research, report drafting and writing skills and project management which are essential for future employment opportunities.
You will study the following three units
- Travel and Tourism Organisations and Destinations (internally assessed - coursework)
- Influences on Global Travel and Tourism (externally assessed – exam)
- Customer Needs in Travel and Tourism (internally assessed – coursework)
Students will study all three modules over the two year KS4 period. Two of the modules are assessed by staff at the school and will required a commitment to building up a portfolio of work (Units 1 and 3), Unit 2 is externally assessed in the form of an exam under supervised conditions.
This coursework based approach provides an essential opportunity for students to have control over their progress and build up skills in a progressive way.
Students will need to be prepared to complete regular homework and make a full commitment to the course.
Regular homework is a necessary part of this course
Teaching Method Used
Teaching methods used reflect the vocational area being studied:
For further information contact: Mr Vince
Careers This Subject Leads Onto
This qualification gives a clear route to Level 3 progression pathways for further study or an Apprenticeship – university or vocational work related careers in Travel and Tourism
It provides skills valued by many jobs which require an ability to work with people.
It provides knowledge to enable you to work within all aspects of the travel industry