Chs master purple logo (5) USE

Chichester High School

Changing your child's school can affect them in many ways so this decision should not be taken without careful thought.

You should consider the following before applying for another school place for your child.

Teaching and school organisation:

Each school teaches the National Curriculum in different ways and at different times of the academic year.

How will your child cope with the following:

• Learning new rules?

• Doing things in different ways?

• If he/she has done the academic work before or has missed important earlier work?

• If he/she finds the work new or strange?

Older children who transfer school after exam subjects have been chosen in Year 9 may find:

 -That they cannot do the same subjects in a new school; or

 -That the exam boards and courses are different

 -That some schools start GCSE courses in Year 9.


Also, have you thought whether:

-Your child can take the same subjects at a new school?

-The courses will be the same?

-Your child will be comfortable taking new subjects or exam courses?



Children need to feel happy at school and relationships with the right friends (and with teachers) are an important part of this. Will he/she be able to settle in and get to know new people quickly, so that his/her learning does not suffer?


You might need to buy a completely new uniform, including PE kit, if your child changes school. Have you thought about the cost involved?


Your child needs to be able to travel to school easily, safely and on-time, therefore:

How would your child get to Chichester High School?

Will a cost be involved? A change of school will usually be regarded as an indication of parental

choice. In most circumstances your child is unlikely to be eligible for travel assistance to their preferred school (if it is Chichester High School).

Please contact West Sussex School Transport for more information.

Other things to think about:

Many issues that worry parents/carers and children can be put right without the need to move schools. Moving schools may not resolve your concerns and may even have a negative effect on your child's education. Before you consider changing your child’s school, we recommend that you discuss your concerns with your child’s current school.

Ask yourself the following questions:

  1. Have I sat down with my child to talk about the above points, to find out how he/she really feels about moving to a new school?
  2. Have I found out the real reason why he/she wants to move schools?
  3. If he/she is worried about certain subjects or there are concerns about teaching, have I spoken to the teachers who teach my child to find out how he/she is getting on and to raise any concerns?
  4. If I think my child needs extra help or has needs that aren’t being recognised, have I spoken to the teacher in charge of special needs?
  5. If there are concerns about bullying or friendship issues, have I spoken to my child's classteacher/Head of Year or Pastoral Head?
  6. If my concerns don’t appear to have been addressed, have I made an appointment to speak to the Headteacher?
  7. If you are not happy about the way the current school is working with your child you should speak to the Headteacher. 
  8.  If your concerns are not dealt with to your satisfaction you can then write to the Chair of Governors. All schools have a complaints policy which will set out how to raise your concerns and what steps the school will take to help resolve them.
    (CHS Complaints Policy with the policy area here )

Information for families who are applying from overseas:

All children of compulsory school age living in West Sussex have a right of access to education. However, if a child will only be resident in the UK for less than half a term, it may be reasonable to refuse admission to a school. Please contact West Sussex (Admissions South) for further information.

Children who hold full British Citizen passports (not British Dependent Territories or British Overseas passports), have a passport endorsed to show a right of abode in the UK, or who are European Economic Area nationals, can make an application from overseas (as long as proof is provided showing that the child will be resident in West Sussex shortly).

Other children from overseas do not generally have an automatic right of entry to the UK. An application for a school place will not therefore be accepted until they are resident in the UK. Proof of residency, such as an endorsed passport or entry visa will be required with the application.

If you are moving to the UK but do not yet have a confirmed address, WSCC will be unable to consider your application until you are able to provide them with the address where the child will be residing.